August 21 - December 16, 2023
You may take this class totally online!!!
No classroom attendance required.
The classes will be all online. I plan to have a Zoom meet and greet session and also some Zoom help sessions for those who would like some extra assistance.
Search Engine Optimization
When you create a Web site, all your work will be in vain if no one comes to visit it. By far, the most common way for users to find your site is with the use of Search Engines. It's very important to know how to organize the site, what content to display, how to set up your links, etc., to make it easier for the search engines to index your site and to rank your site highly in the search results.
It's important to know who your audience will be and what they will be looking for when you are planning your site. How the site is structured, the content that is included, and where keywords are placed will have a huge bearing on how highly your site is ranked.
In this class, we'll study how to optimize the site and pages. We'll also learn about other Web marketing techniques that are important for driving traffic to your site.
This is a beginning class in Search Engine Optimization. There are no prerequisite courses.
- A Browser such as Internet Explorer, Safari or Chrome.
- An Internet Connection
- A text editor or Dreamweaver - we will discuss this in class. Text editors are free.
- FTP software. FTP software allows you to upload files from your computer to a Web server on the Internet. We'll discuss this in class. There are free FTP programs that you can download at that time. Note: Dreamweaver includes FTP capabilities, so if you will be using Dreamweaver, you won't need another FTP program.
- Image Editing Program - optional. Photoshop is great and you can download a free 30-day trial to use during class. You won't need this unless you would like to edit images for your site or to create your own banner. It's not required for the class. There are other image editing programs available to use, as well.
- Search Engine Optimization All-in-One For Dummies - 4th Edition by Bruce Clay and Kristopher B. Jones
- SEO For Dummies-7th Edition by Peter Kent
Sources for the Books
- Amazon - Click on the link above. The print books and Kindle versions are very reasonable there.
- Palomar Book store also has the books available.
Applying to Palomar and Registering for the Class
You can apply to Palomar College Online and register for the class. Please go to: Apply to Palomar.
Your application to Palomar College is free. When you apply, you will be given a student ID number. Once you have your student ID number, you will be able to enroll online for classes.
Enroll in classe at: https://my.palomar.edu/psp/palc9prd/?cmd=login&languageCd=ENG&
You will be enrolling through the MyPalomar student center. That's your online student account center where you manage your classes, fees, and registrations.
When you so a class search to enroll in the class, choose:
Subject: Graphic Communications Multimedia and Web
Course Number: 177
PLEASE NOTE - IMPORTANT
After you register, eServices will drop you from the class if your class fees have not been paid. I have heard that it happens automatically, and students don't know that they have been dropped. Please check your enrollment status often by logging into your eServices account. Re-register, if needed and pay attention to payment deadlines. You can contact me about problems - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class starts on Aug 21. To start class, go to http://artbytes.net/177. You will register an account there. Then, you will be able to login and see the class materials.
This page will be updated to reflect any changes in information about the class. Please check back often.